The training ship 1o de Março in a postcard issued around 1915.
The Navy Arsenal in Rio de Janeiro built this 50.6-meter, 726-ton
wood-and-iron cruiser from a design by Cândido Brasil. Launched on
October 7, 1881, she was propelled by both wind and steam. After 1890
she served as a training ship, and in 1917, transferred to Lloyd
Brasileiro as the Wenceslau Brás, became a school for aspiring merchant
marine pilots. The name 1o de Março pays homage to the date the
Paraguayan War ended, in 1870. The ship was taken out of service in