The company's third ship with this name, the Avon was built at
the Harland & Wolff yard in 1907. Measuring 11,073 tons and 163.1
meters in length, she could accommodate 300 passengers in first class,
140 in second, and 1,200 in steerage. Launched on March 2, 1907, she
began her maiden voyage, to South America, on June 28 of that year.
Requisitioned by the Royal Navy, in 1914 she entered service as a
troopship, and, in 1915, as the armed merchant cruiser Avoca. Returned
to Royal Mail in November 1919, she made her first postwar crossing on
the South America line. She was retired from service in 1929, and sold
for scrapping in 1930.