BACK

SHIPS AND PORTS OF BRAZIL
In Postcards and Souvenir Albums
João Emílio Gerodetti and Carlos Cornejo

BRABANTIA
Constructed by the A.G. Weser shipyard, of Bremen, Germany, and launched on March 30, 1914, this steamship originally sailed for Hamburg-Amerika Linie under the name William O'Swald. An imposing three-funneled, 19,653-ton vessel, she could transport 355 passengers in first class, 284 in second, 469 in third, as well as 857 emigrants. In 1916, during the First World War, with Holland officially neutral, the Germans ceded her to Royal Holland Lloyd as compensation for ships they had mistakenly sunk. Renamed the Brabantia, in 1920 she began serving the South America line and two years later was sold to United American Line, renamed the Resolute, and was put to work on the line connecting Hamburg, Southampton, Cherbourg, and New York. She was reacquired by Hamburg-Amerika Linie in 1926 and continued sailing that route. In 1935 she was sold to the Italian government, re-christened the Lombardia, and converted into a 4,400-soldier troopship operated by Lloyd Triestino during the conquest of Abyssinia, present-day Ethiopia. In 1943 Allied bombers sank her in the Port of Naples. In 1947 she was refloated and then scrapped in La Spezia, Italy. The picture above shows the Brabantia docked in the Port of Rio de Janeiro, between 1920 and 1922, when she served Royal Holland Lloyd's South America line.